Sunday, November 22, 2009

Do YOU sleep alone!?????

Until the end of August my answer to that question would be NO!!!! From day one in the hospital Aiden has slept with me and I have pretty much enjoyed every minute. It began as a necessity, because I had a c-section and could not get in and out of my VERY high off the ground bed with ease, but turned into a preference. Of course there were people that said that he should not be sleeping with me, but of course that went in one ear and out the other. I wanted to have whatever experience with my baby that I wanted to have.

So it was decided that after Aiden's 1st birthday the main focus would be to get him to sleep in his nursery, a very nice nursery if I do say so myself!!!! And of course I was the weak one when it came to actually enforcing this!!! It took a few weeks but Aiden has been sleeping in his crib since the beginning of September. (imagine me doing a happy dance)

He has only slept fully through the night a few times (but always sleeps through the night at Granns's house)....but he goes to bed around 8pm (after dinner, bath, book and sippy cup), wakes up around 5am for something to drink then back up at 7:30am. Sometimes he will wake through the night but will put himself back to sleep. When he wakes up in the morning I can tell instantly if he has gotten enough sleep. If he wakes up crying then he hasn't, but if when I go in there to get him he is talking an playing in his crib then he is well rested!!!

What does it take you ask to get your baby OUT OF YOUR BED and into their own....one word Consistency!!!!!!

We would rock Aiden until he was 99% sleep then put him in the crib...of course he would wake up and start crying. So he would get about 30 seconds of us patting him on the back shhhhing and telling him it was okay. Then we would leave the room. Of course he would still be crying but that is okay. Go back in first at 5 min, then extend to 10, then to 20, and if they are still awake 30min. And when you are in there don't stay very long. Just lay them back down, tell them it is time for night night, and pat them on the back. Every time your baby wakes up at night follow the same steps. You will be a zombie the ENTIRE time that you are working this plan...because you will be getting less sleep due to you getting in and out of bed.

They WILL wake up in the middle of the night...especially if they are use to eating in the middle of the night. Instead of milk give them water...that way they will be less inclined to wake up for just water...lol. Soon they will begin to sleep longer at night and then one day you will realize that you are sleeping sans your child and getting more rest than before.

Aiden even comes in to tell me night night now before he walks into his bedroom like a big boy...oh how I love it. I do have to admit that when he wakes up between 7-7:30am I go in, get him and put him back in bed with me with the hopes that he will sleep for another hour (and because I love it when he lays next to me and wraps his arm around my neck as he falls back asleep)...and most times he does. But it has never effected him sleeping him his crib. Nor has him sleeping with me a couple nights recently as his molars came in effected him wanting to sleep in his crib.

All children (babies) are different. Some will take to it easier and some may take a little longer. I can tell you that if you don't like to hear your baby cry (like me) then this is going to be VERY hard for you. You might want to get your husband/boyfriend to be the bad guy in this situation...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment