Monday, October 19, 2009

Toddler Dental Care

So I was on Facebook last week and one of my friends asked for some advice on how to get her toddler to allow her to brush is teeth. Hmmm....of course all the mommy's started chiming in with advice and it was pretty much all the same.

My very good friend Natalia's son is 6 months older than Aiden...and when we were in Minnesota back in April she would ask him is he wanted to brush his teeth...he would say "brush the teeth" and she would give him a toothbrush and he would begin to brush his teeth!!! HOW CUTE IS THAT!!!!...he has to be the cutest little chunk ever!!!!! So when I got home I vowed to get Aiden to like brushing his teeth...at that time he was about 7 months old so I was cleaning his teeth with a rag. But I went out and got him a tooth brush and started giving it to him when I brushed my teeth in the morning and would tell him to "brush his teeth". Of course he tried to mock what I was doing...it was super cute. So we did this every morning...now when we tell him to brush his teeth he gets VERY excited...takes his toothbrush and goes to town!!! (of course we go after him and brush a little better)

Dentists and Pediatricians say that you should start brushing as soon as the first tooth come in...which makes sense if you think about it...lol. We used one of those thinggys that you put on your finger when Aiden was that young (he was 5 months when his two bottom teeth came in). Also one thing that you can use, that Aiden loves, is the Orajel Tooth & Gum cleanser. It is fluoride free and that is important because even though fluoride prevents cavities, your toddler will be exposed to it in various forms (in your water, juices, formula, etc) and too much will cause fluorosis which is white spots on the teeth.

The goal is to make brushing fun!!!! Play a game...brush your teeth when your baby brushes his/her teeth, or make it a bath time activity. If your baby still fights with you about brushing the teeth...use a wash rag...they tend to like to suck on them anyway!!!!

Hope this was informative. If you have any topics that you want me to cover send me an email allthingbaby@gmail.com.!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment